My Year Of Becoming The Men I Want To Be

When I first began my concerted effort towards recovering from depression, after I had first spoken to my doctor and been officially diagnosed, things did improve, and shift. As the heavy fog of not even having the energy to leave the house lifted, I began to (for the first time since I was 12) experience anxiety. I had these times where I was afraid to go to sleep, because I felt like bad things would happen if I did. It would just come over me in the evening and I would feel very paranoid and out-of-sorts and like sleeping was the one thing guaranteed to make it worse. I’ve never been one for nightmares or being scared of them, so it was very odd and worrying for me. I think I more subconsciously feared waking up in the middle of the night with gastro – which has happened. Eventually I would sleep, and nothing bad ever happened. I also got angrier as the depression... mutated, I think. I just stared taking a more active role in my mental illness. Less ketamine-like stupor of forbearance and misery, more twitching Hollywood villain with a haunting past, no self-worth and a score to settle. Which, on the self-loathing side of things, is where we find ourselves in ‘I’m Not Saying Sorry Anymore.’


But it goes deeper than that. The trip to Japan was kind of my rock bottom. I think I needed to get there to really realise what was going on and who had put me there. I had lost control. I wasn’t doing any of it for any good reason, I was just letting my emotions rule me and fuck my shit up. I had forgotten, somehow, that you can’t just experience all of your emotions at full force all the time all over everyone. I feel like I regressed. That’s what children do. That’s why they cry and throw tantrums, they’ve just experienced a really strong and possibly brand new feeling and they don’t know what to do with it, so they go into meltdown. So much of growing up is learning how to deal with that. To not be afraid of the new feelings, to not give in to them, to control them appropriately and at the right times. I had let my depression eat away at all that training; all of what I had learned by the time I was four.

I spoke earlier about my admiration for Johnny Depp in his interview with Graham Norton. I think I gravitated to that, because even though I didn’t realise it, here was someone personifying all the emotional control I didn’t have. I’ve always loved people and characters like that. Incredibly astute, tantalisingly reticent. James Spader and pretty much every character he has ever played are great examples of that type. Alan Shore and Raymond Reddington do it for me on so many levels. The sheer intellectual acuity, and the way that feeds into my sapioromanticism, the refinement and urbane manner, the perfect hint of debauchery overlaid with such sexual confidence as to be blasé, the unorthodox yet considered sense of morality, the distinct style, the predisposition for worldly and unexpected anecdotes, the black and witty sense of humour and the absurd, and eloquent and cutting speech delivered in deep and rolling tones.

What’s that sound? It’s the sound of me throwing my underwear across the room.

This list makes it almost immodestly clear what I am attracted to in every sense, and so you’ll find many of the people I like and surround myself with fit this mould. It should come as no surprise that Dorian is this type (and is flattered to hear that I see these traits in him.) Russell Brand is also this type, but he possesses a certain kind of exuberant mania which links into that Amanda Palmer “no-one will ever care to see what I don’t show” attitude I also find so appealing, and creates a confusing push and pull with the reticence I find so admirable. 

But this is not just a list of traits that I am attracted to. It’s something that I want to be. If you re-read the list you’ll see it’s not just something I look for in others, but something I seek to project myself.
  • Intellectual acuity
  • Refinement and urbane manner
  • Hint of debauchery
  • Blasé sexual confidence
  • Unorthodox yet considered sense of morality
  • Distinct style
  • Worldly and unexpected anecdotes
  • Black and witty sense of humour and the absurd
  • Eloquent and cutting speech delivered in deep and rolling tones
I find people like this eminently likeable, and seek to surround myself with them at every opportunity, partly hoping that they’ll impart these traits to me. But in all the examples I’ve listed, I noticed that there’s not one woman. Was it because I consider relationships (of all kinds) with men to be more likely and am therefore more inclined to notice them? Or because it was something only men displayed? And if so, why? If I wanted to possess these traits, where was the precedent among my gender? Was this a collection of traits that women ever possessed? Could possess? Were allowed to possess? I agonised for a long time over whether a female character or person fit this mould. Andrea provided the only example I ever found: AlexVause, and she only mentioned it because of how I’d written about being into Alex. But no doubt women with these traits are uncommon. It’s like trying to find a woman who has been described as becoming more “distinguished” as she’s gotten older, rather than all the disparaging and unflattering descriptions tabloids slather them with. I guess it’s that same thing that a lot of feminists are talking about these days, that men have all these diverse markers of character and worth, whereas women only have physical attractiveness.

I spend a lot of time on my appearance. I love make up and beauty products and clothes and dressing up. I’ve recently even been embracing my vanity as a hobby and allowing myself a good few hours to potter around the house putting on false eyelashes and hair extensions and getting everything just right before a night of goth clubbing. Admitting my vanity to myself and allowing myself time to enjoy the ritual of getting dressed up has done wonders for my stress levels. But I often disdain how I look in photos.

Every woman wants to look her absolute best on her wedding day; a veritable paragon of feminine beauty who will outshine the inevitably outdated style of her gown in the photos she shows to her children. My wedding photos did not capture this. Dorian and I went through the photos with the photographer friend of ours who took them the night he brought them over. Dorian looked utterly stunning and composed in every single one. As did many of the guests. I did not. I was utterly horrified by the faces I was pulling. But we were also laughing our arses off. And I was torn; I looked ugly, and I wanted to be sad and disappointed by that, but I also looked funny, and it amused my friends. The sheer amount of photos in which I looked utterly undignified really struck me, and when the time came to put them on Facebook I realised that I had a choice. I could continue to feel bad about how I looked, and point it out to my friends, “Look at my craggy teeth!” “Look at my jowly face!” and hear their fished-for reassurances that I looked fine, forever colouring their perceptions of me, highlighting my low self-esteem, showing them flaws they may have never noticed, and just generally bringing everyone down. Or I could point out how funny I looked, and embrace the fact that I have a characterful and amusing face that has strong and unpredictable reactions to things. I could seize the initiative to laugh at my funny expressions, and lead people in thinking I was comical and blithe rather than dispirited by my lack of beauty and grace. In this way I could choose how people saw me. And I realised that this is what is going on with a lot of the gender divide surrounding appealing characteristics. Women are being given a certain measure, and are measuring themselves by it. And it’s very hard to break free of that and tell someone by what measure to value you, especially if it’s outside the norm. Men would laugh at their stupid expressions if they were funny. No-one would expect them to look beatific and serene all day. Men who make idiotic faces can still be regarded as attractive on the whole. So I made my gurning wedding photos into a collage of meme comparisons and stuck them on Facebook, and people laughed and admired my gall, because fuck it, I’m reclaiming “characterful” one unabashed facial contortion at a time.

My face evoking various memes at my wedding

***

Two friends of mine have been going through particularly hard times of late. I shan’t go into details, but suffice to say they’ve both been incredibly down, and down on themselves. They’ve been sharing their feelings with me quite unreservedly, and I’ve been trying to help them as best as I can. Many times have I sat beside each of them as they related to me with incredible vehemence and resignation the ways in which they were flawed and their situations untenable. The ways in which they hated themselves and were depressed. I identified with them and gave counsel, I talked through things and provided refuge and hugs and distractions.

But privately, being there for them did take a toll on me. There were times where I threw up my hands and thought, but what am I meant to do with the weight of their troubles? It was a difficult thing to navigate and I felt like I might not be helping at all. I was happy to be there for them, but as someone who is only just crawling out from under the dark cloud of depression, I was worried that I might end up back in the worst of it. It’s a fine line to tread, between wanting to be a good friend and share experience, and yet needing to undertake the self-care to prevent myself from getting bogged down in things that could be a downer for me. But I really don’t want them to feel worse for having leaned on me, because I was glad to be in a place where they could, and I would do it all again. I am glad to have friends that I trust, and that trust me.

After the storm passed for both of them I was grateful, grateful they had achieved greater peace, and grateful for what I had seen in myself. I realised, as I gave that advice and related to those feelings and attitudes and problems, that most of the time, I was talking about my past. A lot of the lessons I’d learned were very recent, and some things I was still struggling with, but I saw a way forward and through. I saw through their eyes how I projected this sage placidity, and they were surprised and consoled when I said I had those same flaws and had experienced similar upheaval. When I was giving guidance, it wasn’t just things that I supposed; it was things that I had conceived, put into practice and achieved results with – which I was now recommending. I stop short of saying that I now have aspirations of being a counsellor – but it’s nice to have valuable perspectives, and to see how far I’ve come. The mental spaces that they were in were spaces that I was very familiar with, but that I was no longer in. I was the annoyingly positive friend suggesting courses of action to be rebuffed with unswerving pessimism, not the dour soul being unsuccessfully cheered. I couldn’t believe it. What a reversal. How did I even get here? But I knew how. Through talking my own advice. It had worked. I wasn’t in that place anymore. What did that even mean? Did it mean I wasn’t depressed anymore?

I haven’t really had a ‘bad day’ since the start of the year. I haven’t apologised in the way I described in ‘I’m Not Saying Sorry Anymore’ and I haven’t dissolved into nihilism like I wrote about in ‘Resolve.’ I haven’t had a vitriolic outburst of self-loathing or defeat either. ‘Bildungsroman’ was a hard blog for me, not so much because of the content (I’d come to terms with that as much as I could) but because of discussing it with Dorian. There were a few things in that blog where we came to a bit of an impasse about privacy and realised we were very different people. I had a bit of a freak out about how we clashed, how someone so private could have wanted to be with someone so public as myself, but mainly how I was meant to continue my art, my writing, in a way that was true to myself and helped me process things, without betraying Dorian’s confidences. In the end I wrote the full breadth of story, and then I replaced it with something much simpler and more artful for the published version. I got the impact I needed without the details Dorian didn’t. But what most freaked me out in the course of writing ‘Bildunsgroman’ wasn’t that Dorian and I had different views, it was that I got upset. I was upset about the events in the blog, about the integrity of the story I was trying to tell, about the future of my art, about what this issue meant for how we conducted our relationship – but mostly I was upset about being upset. I think I had literally gone all year without crying. Which at that stage was about four months. And here I was bawling about all these issues. I’d ruined my streak. I’d shown I wasn’t really fine. I wasn’t cured and I wasn’t strong enough. I was devastated. Here was my weakness once again. And it did what it always does, we had a really long arduous conversation where I sobbed and wailed until the day/evening got away from us and all the fun things we were going to do had been replaced by my torment. I swore if I was going to get rid of one thing in my depression it was dragging Dorian into those episodes. I could live with the private melancholia, but I didn’t want to subject him to those dissertations on sorrow. He said no-one was ever going to not get upset about anything. I countered that he’s never upset to the extent that I am. But I’m doing a lot better. One episode in four months is better than one every four days.

One of my primary school teachers once told me that I always made a big show of not being able to do something, but in the end I always did it. She said it was a flaw that I needed to understand about myself: I was fatalistic and underestimated my capabilities. I’d gotten it from my mother of course, who was also very capable, but depressed and devoid of self-esteem. The teacher and I warred with each other a lot, my mother kept telling me it was because we were so similar. I don’t know if that was true. I think maybe the teacher herself saw us more similar than we were, and assumed a lot of things based on that instead of allowing me my own path. It was difficult with so many kids. I respected her, but she had very particular ways that I often disagreed with. She was very perceptive in her observation though, and I remember begrudging her the truth of her comments at the time. I still see those traits in myself to this day, every time I’m given a deadline or have to do the dishes. And I see it here, in my depression.

The moment I resolved, I also gave up. The moment I decided what needed to be done, I also expounded on why it was impossible. But in the end, I did it. I beat my depression. I beat it in the sense of winning a major battle against a perpetually invading army. But on my decent days, I’m not sure a diagnosis of depression would stick, and I have a lot of decent days. I might occasionally become distressed, but that shouldn’t nullify my improvement. I was actually resolute. I took back control of my emotions. I decided I wasn’t going to be that howling mess any more, and so I wasn’t. I knew I had it in me. And in that way I finally got to use that reserve of strength I spoke of, sadly not to elevate myself to even greater heights, but to pull myself out of the muck. In that endeavour I have proved I can do just about anything. Ascending to even greater heights comes later.

I chose how people saw me in those photos, and I can choose whether people see me as urbane and witty and dark and sexually powerful. I can cultivate those things. They don’t belong to anyone, not men and not just James Spader’s characters. I can be those things if I want to. And I think I’m a lot closer than I realise. I can be the men I want to be.

Comments